Munai is a fourth class municipality in the province of Lanao del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 32,973 people.
Geographically, Munai is bounded by the municipalities of Tangcal, bacolod and Kauswagan on the north, Poona Piagapo on the east, Piagapo on the south, and Madalum on the west.
Munai has govern by Sultanate before and still adopting the rules and regulations of Sultanate. The Center of the Munai is surround by elevation and mountain which attraction for the local Tourist. There is long river going street to Municipality of Bacolod.
Few months ago, there was a proposal resolution made by Casan Maquiling to change the name of Municipality of Munai to Municipality of Sultan Casan Maquiling. The proposal resolution was rejected by the Municipal Counselors since Casan Maquiling does not have any historic contribution to the mother land of Munai.
The people in Munai are still adopting the traditional government that is eventually govern by Supreme Sultanates. They are in charge for Social Life of the people and Tribal Conflict.
Four (4) Sultanate
- Sultan Angni
- Sultan Blood line of Luksadatu
- Sultan Balowa
- Sultan Obinay
Adopted Two (2) Sultanate
- Sultan Tomarompong from Municipality of Ramain who married daughter of Datu Mutia long-long time ago
- Sultan of Kaburasan
- Sultan of Panggao
- Sultan of Lininding
Munai is politically subdivided into 26 barangays.
- Old Poblacion
- North Cadulawan
- Tambo (Town Proper)
Baranggay are commonly called “Sebangan” (Sun Rise)
- Balabacon, the location is boundary Poon Piagapo
- Lininding, the location is boundary of Munai and Piagapo
- Taporog, the location is boundary Poon Piagapo
- Panggao, the location is boundary Poon Piagapo and Kauswagan
- Tamparan, the location is boundary Poon Piagapo and Kauswagan
Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 1986 – 1989, Danny Alinog
- 1989 – 1992, Tawan Mutia Cauntungan
- 1992 – 1995, Tawan Mutia Cauntungan
- 1995 – 1998, Casan Maquiling
- 1998 – 2001, Casan Maquiling
- 2001 – 2004, Casan Maquiling
- 2004 – 2007, Moamar Maquiling
- 2007 – 2010, Moamar Maquiling
- 2010 – 2013, Casan Maquiling
- 2013 – 2016, Casan Maquiling
- 2016 present, Casan Maquiling
Vice Mayors after People Power Revolution 1986
- 1987 – 1989, OIC
- 1989 – 1992, Odek Loksadatu Balabagan
- 1992 – 1995, Odek Loksadatu Balabagan
- 1995 – 1998, Odek Loksadatu Balabagan
- 1998 – 2001, Mrs. Loksadatu
- 2001 – 2004, Mrs. Loksadatu
- 2004 – 2007, Karisa Domrang
- 2007 – 2010, Karisa Domrang
- 2010 – 2013, Karisa Domrang
- 2013 – 2016, Ikie L. Balabagan
- 2016 present, Ikie L. Balabagan