Balo-i (also spelled Baloi, Balëy using Filipino 2014 Orthography) is a third class municipality in the province of Lanao del Norte, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 58,383 people.
It is the home of the Agus IV Hydroelectric Powerplant (Located in Barangay Nangka; 18 kilometers from Iligan City) on the Agus River. The plant, located 120 metres (390 ft) below ground surface, is the first underground hydroelectric plant in Mindanao and the third in the Philippines. It is said to be sufficient to light a city more than 12 times the size of Iligan City or to run 20 cement factories. Also, Balo-i is the town where the Maria Cristina Airport, also known as Iligan Airport, is located.
The town was created from the municipal districts of Momungan, Pantar, and Balut (August 1, 1948). It is the mother town of Tagoloan (June 21, 1969) and Pantar (June 11, 1978)
Balo-i is politically subdivided into 21 barangays.
- Adapun-Ali (Dariat)
- Angandog (Bulao)
- Angayen (Balut)
- Batolacongan (Basagad)
- Landa (Gadongan)
- Maria Cristina
- Poblacion East
- Poblacion West
- Sandor (Daduan)
- Sangcad (Cormatan)
- Sarip-Alawi (Payawan)
Products: rotie (a pancake that is made by a flour mixed with chicken curry flavor), dodol (a rice grind cooked with durian flavor), bakas (a tuna cooked through a smoke), sweet delecacies such as tiyateg, berowa, amik, and tamokonsi.
Crops: camote (the largest camote in the province), corn, pakal, vegetables, squash, watermelon, madang, durian, coconut, peanut, sweet potato.
- Philippine Science High School Central Mindanao Campus
- MSU Balo-i Community College, former MSU Balo-i Pilot High School now a college institution which offers three Bachelor of Science degrees (Agricultural Technology, Forestry Technology, and Information Technology).
- Western Philippine College Foundation Inc., located in Brgy. Abaga, offers Bachelor of Science in Education, Criminology, as well as complete highschool and elementary education.
- IBN Mas-Od Integrated School, located in Brgy. East Poblacion, offers integrated elementary education with Arabic education.
- Momungan Academy, located in Brgy. Pacalundo.
|Baloi West District:
||Baloi East District: